International Association for the Preservation of Spiritualist and Occult Periodicals
About Archives Practices Contribute Contacts Search


Periodical: Christliche Theosophie

Summary:  From Pat Deveney's database:

Christliche Theosophie.
Christliche Theosophie und Erudistische Lebensweisheit / Blätter fur Gottes- und Menschen-Erkenntnis / Blatter fur Gottes- und Menschen-Erkenntnis. Unter Mitwirkung einer Anzahl Gesinnungsfreunde Redigiert. Christliche Theosophie / Neue Gedanken auf Religioser Grundlage. Eine Schrift zur Förderung der Bestrebungen der Bruderschaft Zum Heiligen Gral / Immanuel! (Gott mit Uns) / Gott mit Uns.
Immanuel! (Gott mit uns).
Other titles: Christliche Theosophie und Erudistische Lebensweisheit.
1895-1900 Monthly.
Bitterfeld and Leipzig, Germany. Language: German. Publisher: F.E. Baumann. Succeeded by: Christliche Theosophie: Immanuel! (Gott mit uns)(1900-1901)->Christliche Theosophie: Gott mit uns! (1901-1907)->Zum Licht! (1908-1928)->Asgard (1928-1944) 1/1, 1895-1900.

Nos. 1-45 appeared under this title, except for two issues in 1897 which were called Christliche Theosophie und Erudistische Lebensweisheit, apparently to reflect some passing consolidation with the ideas of P. Ch. Martens' Erudiscisches Bund. See the note under Erudistische Monatsblatt. Christliche Theosophie was scarcely Theosophical in the sense of the Theosophical Society, but was rather part of the wave of the Christian anti- or non-Blavatskian form of Theosophy that focused on western occultism and individual survival and development. After 1900 the journal increasingly incorporated the ideas of Parsifal Braun, a German-born American New Thought mage who was at the same time publishing New Thought journals in the United States in both German and English. See the notes under The New Man, Der Meister, and Self Culture. The journal originally featured German translations of John Hamlin Dewey's The School of Christ and his other writings, and had contributions by P. Ch. Martens (later O.T.O. member, and leader of the Erudistisches Bundes), Braun, E.C.H. Peithmann, et al. In 1908, with the name change to Zum Licht! the journal formally became the organ of Braun's "Gral-Orden" or "Orden vom Heiligen Gral," founded by Braun in 1899/1900 as a front for the Great Work of John E. Richardson and Florence Huntley, and then imported into Germany. The order, led by Martens and Braun, was organized along Masonic lines with grades, rites and passwords and sought to develop the bodily, spiritual and soul powers of men through Richardson's system of concentration and inner observation. Its inner workings were kept carefully secret from the world at large and taught in private lessons which concerned themselves with Braun's own ideas (absolute continence coupled with "nude contact" and mutual caressing) on the role of sex in health and in spiritual and mental development. In 1921, after Braun's disillusionment with occultism, the Gral-Orden was reformed and its leadership assumed by Martens. For a time in the early 1920s E.C.H. Peithmann tried to incorporate his own form of save-the-semen occult practice into the Order, but then separated himself to start his own Gnostic Church. See P. Ch. Martens, Geheime Gesellschaften in alter und neuer Zeit, 2d ed revised (Bad Schmiedeberg and Leipzig: Verlag von F.E. Baumann, n.d. [c. 1923]), 225-230. In the mid-1920s Georg Lomer was active in the Grail Order and then took over the journal and changed its name to Asgard. The Neuer Grals Orden also printed a series of Mitteilungen des N.G.O. and Der Gral for its members. Universität Leipzig; ZDB: Berlin SBB Haus Unter d.Linden.

Issues:Christliche Theosophie V1 N1 Oct 1895

Archival material rights reserved under Creative Commons license.   .
IAPSOP respects user and member privacy and personal data rights.